We want to thank our loyal members for being an essential part of the community that is creating a better environment for cycling. It’s been a big year at Bicycle NSW with record membership growth, significant advances in advocacy issues and some important wins for bicycle riders.
All the positive activity reflects the ongoing growth in recreational and commuter cycling as more and more Australians rediscover the joy of riding their bicycle.
Let’s build on the great momentum together, we certainly cannot do it without your support.
All members either have been contacted already via email or will receive a letter in the coming weeks reminding them that the 2015/16 membership year commences July 1. We invite you to renew your membership before June 30 to save 10% and continue to ride with confidence in your comprehensive rider insurance including $20 million WORLDWIDE liability and personal accident insurance*.
New members receive from the time they sign up until 30 June 2015 free (the new membership year for everyone commences on 1 July 2015). So invite your riding buddies to join us and they’ll get a month or two free!
As well as insurance, membership also provides valuable benefits including specialist legal advice, event and retail discounts, courses and much, much more. Your membership helps fund our crucial advocacy role as we work across NSW with state and local government, a range of stakeholders and the media to increase infrastructure and improve behaviours.
Bicycle NSW is the state’s largest and most experienced bicycle advocacy organisation, representing bicycle riders since 1976. It is a critical time for NSW’s bicycling future, with significant opportunities for infrastructure creation to enhance the popularity and growth in recreational and commuter bicycle riding. Read about the many achievements in the 2014/15 Our Year in Review (overleaf), and be assured that your membership is helping to create a better environment for cycling as it directly funds our advocacy for you and all riders.
Renew before July 1, save 10% and WIN. We’re giving away a $250 Ground Effect voucher every week plus the chance to take home our grand fondo of prizes – a trio of bikes plus heaps of other goodies.
RENEW FOR 2015-16 NOW
Login at bicyclensw.org.au and follow the instructions to renew your membership and save another $10.
Or, complete the renewal form you’ll be sent and return it to us. But remember – it’s quicker and cheaper to renew online!
We’ve had a great year providing insurance, resources and advice to a record number of members, and the 2015/16 membership year promises to be even better. Renew today, invite your riding friends to join the community and let’s continue creating a better environment for cycling together – we can’t do it without you!
2014-15, Our Year in Review
During 2014-15 the team at Bicycle NSW have worked hard to represent you and our riding community on many critical issues that will create a better environment for cycling, and support the growth of bicycling for transport, health, recreation and of course – fun!
Significant advocacy milestones:
- Championing the complete delivery of the Sydney City Centre Access Strategy including the Castlereagh Street Cycleway and protecting the popular College Street Cycleway
- Preserving Pyrmont Bridge access for cyclists and pedestrians
- Supporting our state network of Bicycle User Groups (we couldn’t do it without their local knowledge and energy)
- Representing NSW at Velo-city – regarded as the world reference in terms of urban cycling policies
- Representing NSW at the Australian Bicycle Summit, with state organisations and industry leaders collaborating to positively influence Federal political decision makers and policy
- Supporting the NSW Rail Trails campaign
- Supporting our state network of Bicycle User Groups on leadership strategies such as the Newcastle CycleSafe Network Campaign
- Representing bicycle riders on the Cycling Safety Implementation Working Group and Ministerial Road Safety Advisory Council, plus numerous other committees, councils and forums
- Contributing to the important Safe Cycling Study by the University of NSW
- Launching the “It’s a Two Way Street” campaign with the Amy Gillett Foundation and Transport for NSW\
- Advocating for the 1 metre minimum passing distance including the launch of our “I GIVE A METRE” sticker
- Collaborating with the Centre for Sustainable Leadership to present the inaugural Mayors and MPs Ride
- Contributing to the Active Travel Charter for Children, launched at the global Walk21 Conference
- Educating 12,300 school aged children on bike safety through the Bicycle NSW Helmet Artwork Competition
Some of our other achievements we are proud of, and are a credit to your ongoing involvement:
- We’re increasing our rider insurance program for 2015-16 to give our members even better protection
- We’ve cultivated relationships to shift commentary around bike riding and seen a significant increase in positive and constructive media stories
- Gear Up Girl riders increased 40% – we are proud to partner with the Heart Foundation, encouraging more women to get active and on their bikes
- Spring Cycle riders increased 14% and continues to be the iconic Sydney cycling event, the only event to ride the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Hundreds of graduates from our Ride Leader Courses, Gear Up Girl Workshops and Bicycle Maintenance Workshops – developing skills, confidence and ride leaders in the community
- Hundreds of Discovery Ride Participants – a new initiative collaborating with Councils and Bicycle User Groups to showcase local bicycle routes creating confidence, a sense of community and increasing riding regularity
For more information on any of these advocacy initiatives and achievements please contact us at Bicycle NSW.
Your membership and continued support means Bicycle NSW can build on our history of creating a better environment for cycling, for everyone, now and in the future.